“Due Diligence” is a term that can strike fear into the hearts of both Investors and Entrepreneurs. Yet, it’s an important process.
Given that the food industry is so extensively regulated with so many specialized rules, even sophisticated investors and entrepreneurs can overlook important regulatory requirements.
Jason Foscolo and Lauren Holden of The Food Law Firm present a training workshop that will identify the areas of regulatory risk seen in their legal practice, including:
* Food and nutrition labeling requirements
* Liability, indemnification, and insurance.
* Food safety regulations such as the Food Safety Modernization Act.
* Labeling and Marketing Claims
* Agricultural lending, the Uniform Commercial Code, and secured transactions.
* Chapter 12, Agricultural Bankruptcy.
* Special laws pertaining only to agriculture, such as the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act, the Agricultural Fair Practices Act, and Packers and Stockyards Act.
* Environmental liability and compliance.
After the Workshop, Slow Money NYC will feature 10-Minute Entrepreneur Presentations:
• Fig Food Co. – CEO Joel Henry – Mission-based producer of packaged local beans, soups and purees.
• Revolution Rickshaws – CEO Gregg Zuman – Operator of temperature-controlled freight tricycles designed to provide safe, green option for transport of local foods.
• Northeast Farm Access – Founder Bob Bernstein – Developer of small farm preservation projects in the American Northeast.
Lightning Round: Concept Stage Businesses
2-minute Elevator Pitches from Entrepreneurs whose business ideas are just been hatched:
• Spirited – Kimberley Wetherell – Bakery & dessert bar featuring sweets infused with local spirits and ingredients.
• Farmrz Market – Travis Pagel – Onine farmers market.
• Terre a Terre – Lisa Meyer – Multi-faceted food business focused on local food education, distribution, matchmaking, and marketing.
• BYOB – Jamie Saurman – Bar restaurant with special emphasis on teaching patrons how to brew their own beers.
Upcoming Meetup: Crowdfunding Workshop
November 19, 2013 – CROWDFUNDING WORKSHOP – Everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask. Details TBA. Location: The Moderns! 900 Broadway, NYC.
Joel Henry – Fig Food | Bob Bernstein – NE Farm Access | Gregg Zuman – Revolution Rickhaws