Growth Stage food (and farming) companies with gross revenues greater than $100,000 are invited to apply to present business plans before expert judges and a live audience at The Wythe Hotel, Brooklyn, NY on April 25, 2014. Winner will receive $500. For Detailed Event Information, scroll below application form.
- APPLICATIONS DUE: FRIDAY, MARCH 28, 2014
- SELECTEES NOTIFIED: TUESDAY, APRIL 1, 2013
- PITCH DECK SLIDES DUE: MONDAY, APRIL 19, 2013
- PITCH PREP WORKSHOP: THURSDAY, APRIL 24, 9:30 am – 5:30 pm
- EVENT DATE: FRIDAY, APRIL 25, 9:00-7:00 PM – Selected Pitch Entrepreneurs are expected to attend the entire day-long event.
FAQs and IMPORTANT EVENT INFORMATION
Slow Money NYC seeks social entrepreneurs who seek to change the food system and look to test their ideas before an audience of 60+ guests and 5 expert judges at the Food Book Fair. Think: Shark Tank for Sustainable Foodies.
Presented by Chipotle in partnership with Slow Money NYC, Foodshed
Investors NY, GrowNYC, NRDC and Sustainable Agriculture Food System Funders.
Winner will receive a modest cash honorarium of $500.00 from Chipotle.
Expert judges will be drawn from the fields of food and business. Experts invited to judge include: Michael Hurwitz, Director, NYC Greenmarkets/GrowNYC; Elly Truesdell, NE Local Regional Forager, Whole Foods Markets; Taylor Erkinnen, Founder, Brooklyn Kitchen.
ENTREPRENEUR CLINIC: SPEED CONSULTING + MENTORING: 9:30 am-12:30 pm
Pitching or not, we urge entrepreneurs to attend the Speed Consulting earlier in the day from 9:30-12;30 AM which will provide Entrepreneurs with up to six 20-minute speed consultations with potential advisors, consultants and incubators in marketing, graphic design, legal, accounting, business planning, etc.
PANEL: ANATOMY OF A DEAL: SUSTAINABLE FOODSHED FINANCE 2:00-3:30 pm
Directly before the Pitch Competition, we will have a panel discussion highlighting the role of Technical Assistance and Consultants in accessing capital investment from both Foundations and Private Investors.
WYTHE HOTEL, 80 WYTHE AV, BROOKLYN, NY 11211
Food + Enterprise – Derek@slowmoneynyc.org or
Food Book Fair – Elizabeth@foodbookfair.com
About Food Book Fair
Launched in 2012, The Food Book Fair was the first ever event combining food publications and dynamic events celebrating food writing, reading, and activism. Building on its critical successes, 2014 Food Book Fair will be held on April 25-27, 2014 in Brooklyn, NY at the Wythe Hotel, promising a variety of different programs that explore unique and fascinating facets of the food system and the culture that brings them to life.
About Slow Money NYC
Slow Money NYC is a local chapter of Slow Money, Inc., a growing national alliance catalyzing impact investing in sustainable, small food and farm business through education, networking and incubating new models for finance. Launched in 2010, Slow Money NYC has held dozens of educational and networking events, including two Entrepreneur Showcases and a Pitch Competition, featuring business pitches by over 20 dynamic local food pioneers. Slow Money NYC initiated the creation of Foodshed Investors NY (formerly NYC LION), a group of angel investors who have placed well over $1 million in many local food and farm businesses.
- Photos from last year’s Food Book Fair: http://www.flickr.com/photos/80264259@N06/7184149643/in/photostream
- Our new website will be launching soon: Please check foodbookfair.com for the Tickets at the end of March.
- For Entrepreneurs to prepare when accepted:
- 10 slides (PPT or PDF) to accompany 5 minute presentation
- 11×17 poster for display during Resource Fair
- Attend all-day Pitch Prep Workshop on April 24, 2014
- Confirmed 2014 speakers & participants: TBD